Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Blog #3 (Congress)

First off... I had absolutely no clue Congress dealt with such a wide variety of issues, especially in one day. There schedule is crazy and the types of bills that they oversee have such little effect on our daily lives. That is definitely one thing I learned from this website. I mean you always assume that congress passes bills that have significance in your everyday life but through my observations I have learned most of them will never even effect you. My previous knowledge of Congress was that they pass laws such as no texting while driving or no cell phones while driving. Through observation of that website they deal with issues on how small bussiness effect the economy and hearings to examine pension plans and such. I also saw a bill that was about a national missing childrens day. I just never knew the jobs of congress were so detailed and intricate.

Another extremely interesting aspect of Congress that I was completely unaware of is the separtation of certain issues amongst different subcommittees and committees. The way I envisioned it was the house or senate sitting around in a group discussing different bills. In no way is this true. On the website there are a list of several different subcommittees and committees assigned to certain issues. Considering the amount and different types of bills and issues that congress deals with daily this method seems much more efficient.

Overall, I don't really think I would like to be a part of Congress. I think it is definitely way too much responsibility for the amount of compensation received. That is not to say that some people are not so passionate and patriotic that they would like to play a role in decision-making, however, this would not be something I would enjoy. The different issues are so broad and almost repetitive seeing as though it takes so long to simply pass a bill. I'm really glad that I took a look at this website because it definitely opened my eyes to a new perspective on congress. It has caused me to have a great deal of respect for their hard work and broad range of responsibilities, however, I no longer look at the career in the same lime-light that I once did, from a personal standpoint that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment